Saturday, July 20, 2013

Inside Trip of Passport Seva Kendra


Inside trip of a PSK
Finally the D-day arrived, after securing my "online passport appointment", I am here today in front of the Passport Seva Kendra. I am so excited that I have arrived almost two hours before my reporting time.
(Honestly it is just not excitement, back of my mind I am thinking of those never ending long queue's in front of  Govt. office)
Inside Trip of Passport Seva Kendra

Whatever be the reason, I am here at Lalbagh PSK, Bangalore and surprise surprise....NO QUEUE!! Is the PSK closed today? Are they not entertaining appointments? What's wrong....

Okay, the good news...PSK's is NOT closed. I was impressed by looking at the architecture of the building, it does not have that historian Govt. office look(no betel spit marks on walls, not a rickety old building and no queue...outside the gate at least).

So, now starts the inside story of the PSK:
(P.S. I applied for a fresh, normal passport. Procedures are different for all passport types).


1. Once inside, you get to sit/stand in a waiting area, awaiting your batch number to be called(this number will be mentioned on the appointment printout), make sure you know your batch number.
The sequence number is not important, actually it is just a pseudo number.

2.  As I was early to the PSK, I had to wait for almost 1hour 30minutes for my batch number to be called out. But boy oh boy....even Cinderella would not had been so punctual, the clock ticked 02:00PM and they called my batch number.
Walked with the crowd from the waiting area to a next hall where tokens are to be issued. Time for the first queue....but it is a fast moving queue.

3. Okay, this as per me is the most important halt. If you fail here, oops...all your struggle is gone in vain. You fail to produce correct documents here...you will not be allowed inside. In short this token issue is your passport to getting a passport.
So, make sure you have all possible documents with you, both original and photocopy. They can ask for anything, there is no set rule. So when they ask, you should have it....otherwise you are asked to leave and guess asked to come next day.
Luckily I had all required documents...hurray I got my token(it is a paper slip, token number written on left side, it should be something like N XXX, where I think 'N' is for new).

 4. After getting the token, second waiting area....but it is swift here. You will see token numbers appearing on LCD's with associated counter number. Pleasantly, there are few floor wardens around as well to guide you.
To my amazement, with in 2minutes  my token number was displayed and I walked in to the counter.

5. Here verification of the original documents will happen, then the passport form details will be cross checked with you, on spot photograph will be clicked, finger/thumb print scanning, self attestation of documents and fee submission.
You will be handed over a file containing the documents you had produced and required for verification in the next segments. Also, a fee receipt - preserve it safely.

 6. Now go to third waiting area, the wait time is comparatively high here. Once the LCD displays your token, walk to the assigned counter. Third time verification of you, your originals and the information forwarded internally from the previous two teams.
All's good...go back to waiting area and wait for GTO(Granting Officer) verification.

7. Yes, you guessed it correct, the wait time goes up little higher but not that significant....so stare, stare and stare at the LCD again...for your token number to appear.
Finally, my turn. GTO verifies anything that might have slipped out in the earlier sections(you are nervous now) if everything is perfect, ticks on your file and piles it on the ever growing bundle. BUT and a big but....if he/she is not satisfied, you will be sent to the APO(Assistant Passport Officer...I think), for which you need to wait again.
Not sure of what happens at the APO chamber, I was lucky to be through the GTO.

8. Just before you see the EXIT and jump out...do not forget to collect your Acknowledgement Receipt. So, bring out your fee receipt(ah ahhh...i asked you to preserve it safely) and push it through the counter window. You will be handed over an acknowledgement. Scrutinize for any error.

Well that was my trip to the PSK...kind of refreshing experience in a Govt. Office. Well organized and considering the work volume they handle...exceptionally quick.

Hope you too have a good one. Passport appointment booking Online

No comments:

Post a Comment